Game Name: BROTHERS IN ARMS HELL’S HIGHWAY
Platform: PC / Playstation 3 / Xbox 360
Edition: Standard / Limited
Brothers In Arms Hell’s Highway
brings the critically acclaimed squad-based WWII shooter into the next generation of gaming with amazing graphics and sound, new cutting-edge gameplay features, and a totally redesigned online component. Delivering on the franchise’s compelling story, unrivaled authenticity and intense squad-based action, Brothers In Arms Hell’s Highway drops you into Operation Market Garden, the largest paratrooper operation in World War II. Lead Matt Baker, Joe Hartsock and the rest of the 101st Airborne Division as they fight to open “Hell’s Highway” in a daring bid for a quick end to the war.
Operation Market Garden: The Story of Hell’s Highway
Operation Market Garden was a real-life Allied offensive designed to destroy Nazi Germany before Christmas, 1944. The plan was ambitious – it was largest airborne invasion in the history of the world. The plan was to capture a corridor through Holland to punch through the German lines. Paratroopers of the 101st Airborne and other divisions dropped from the sky in mid-September to seize and hold the corridor by surprise. The surprise attack was a bust. Hitler’s best units were in the area and immediately counter-attacked and crushed the corridor.
Meet the Squad
Although players see the chaos of Operation Market Garden exclusively through the eyes of Sgt. Matt Baker, Hell’s Highway is squad-based and as such players will direct, interact with, and get to know all the members of the 101st Airborne in intimate detail. Some of the characters return from earlier games in the series, while others are brand new. Regardless, each has his own personality, history and attitudes towards the plight the squad finds themselves in as they seek to survive a bold, but doomed plan. Some of the dog faces players will encounter are include:
- Brothers In Arms Hell’s Highway – Next Generation: The classic authentic, squad-based combat series explodes on your PC, offering unprecedented graphics and features.
- New Story, New Setting: Follow Matt Baker, Joe Hartsock and the rest of the 101st Airborne Division in “Operation Market-Garden” as they fight to open famous “Hell’s Highway” in a daring bid for a quick end to the war.
- Live the life of an Enlisted Man: Get orders from HQ, go on patrol, spot the enemy and set up a devastating ambush. For the first time, finding the enemy before they find you is part of the challenge.
- Unprecedented Character Design: Lifelike characters look, talk, move and think with incredible realism. Game characters interact with the player and each other like true brothers in arms, trading ammunition, helping wounded allies and civilians, working together to man team-operated weapons, and more.
- Rich Cinematic Experience: As the squad leader, you interact with and get to know your brothers. Each character has his own personality, unique story and background, and grows through the game.
- Powerful New Units Under Your Command: Players can use or command combined arms teams – machine gun crews create intense fire, bazooka crews destroy buildings and tanks, and mortar crews pound the enemy from a distance.
- Step Into the Boots of a Soldier: Hit the dirt and get prone, rip grenades from your chest and hurl them at your enemies. See and feel the blast of nearby explosions.
- Completely New Multiplayer Experience: Fight major multiplayer battles with dozens of players on each side; all the intensity and accessibility of Deathmatch meshed with the squad-based gameplay that helped make Brothers In Arms famous.
- Destroyable Cover: Keep your men moving and choose your cover wisely – simulated with real physics, weapons will damage, dent, scorch and destroy the world around you.
There’s only one way out of hell, and that’s through it. To the Allied paratroopers who fought to capture and hold the bridges and roads of Holland targeted in Operation Market Garden the price was the lives of their brothers in arms. To them the corridor became known as Hell’s Highway. It was the the last great Nazi victory. It was simply hell for Sgt. Matt Baker and his squad. Relive their courage and heroism in Brothers in Arms: Hell’s Highway.
Brothers in Arms: Hell’s Highway: The Colonel Antal Interview
Since 1985, when it dropped into the WWII division of the popular tactical/strategy shooter genre with Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, the Brothers in Arms series has consistently met with critical acclaim and gamer praise. This was a tough mission to accomplish, but it did so by focusing compelling squad-based tactical gameplay against the backstory of a fictional squad within the US Army’s 101st Airborne Division as they battle through a historically correct re-creation of the events of the Allied invasion of Europe during WWII. This type of realism is more or less unheard of in the video game world and can only be provided by someone who really knows their stuff. Enter Colonel John Antal, US Army (Ret.).
Vice President of Knowledge Operations and Military and Historical Director at Gearbox Software, developers of the Brothers in Arms series, Colonel Antal is an Airborne-Ranger officer, and a published author of scores of magazine articles, as well as several fiction and nonfiction books on military topics. Most importantly for the subject at hand though, he is also a major force behind the development of the Brothers in Arms series. Recently I was able to catch up with him and ask some questions regarding the newest title in that line, Brothers in Arms Hell’s Highway.